- About 4-H
- Lake Cumberland 4-H Educational Center
- Programs and Events
- Animal Sciences
- Dog Programs
- Science, Engineering, and Technology
- Shooting Sports
- State Fair
- Communication & Expressive Arts
- Family & Consumer Science
- Natural Resources
- 4-H Camp
- County Offices
- 4-H Access
Kentucky 4-H Culinary Challenge
Kentucky 4-H Culinary Challenge
Here’s the Clue for the 2015 KY 4-H Culinary Challenge…
Available by May1
Food shows are extremely popular. The Kentucky 4-H Culinary Challenge is expected to generate interest among foodies and food show fans and add excitement to 4-H food and nutrition projects. The 4-H challenge will be similar to the Food Network’s “Chopped.”
At the state contest, teams of three to five teens from each district will be challenged to create a serving or plate of food using a clue, common ingredients found in a pantry, and secret ingredients. Since teens need to eat more fruits and vegetables and Kentucky produces an abundance of fine foods, these are guaranteed to be found among the contest’s ingredients.
A team is made up of 3 to 5 youth currently in grades 9-12. All team members must be from one county.
The Culinary Challenge will put everything youth have learned about FOOD and NUTRITION to the test.
It will challenge youth to:
- Increase their knowledge of food and nutrition.
- Master food preparation and safety skills.
- Use creativity when preparing, combining and presenting food.
- Include more fruits and vegetables and Kentucky products in meals.
- Apply nutrition principles to the real-life meal planning.
- Learn from each other and experienced mentors.
- Develop real-world leadership skill in working as a team.
- Increase skill in public speaking.
About the Kentucky 4-H Culinary Challenge…
The Challenge: Team members must use their food preparation skills, knowledge of nutrition and food safety, leadership skills, and creativity to prepare a serving or plate of food and then make a presentation about it to the judges. The presentation will include information about the nutritional value, serving size, preparation skills and decision-making behind the dish. On-site preparation of the food allows 4-H members to demonstrate their culinary skills to the judges. This contest is modeled after the Oklahoma 4-H Food Showdown and Texas 4-H Food Challenge.
The Event: The 2015 State Kentucky 4-H Culinary Challenge will be held during track time on June 9-10, 2015 during Kentucky 4-H Teen Conference. . One team will be selected champion and will receive a special commemorative award. Members of all teams will receive a bag of Kentucky products.
Qualifying Events: Within each Extension district, agents and volunteers will determine how the team will be selected to compete in the Kentucky 4-H Culinary Challenge. Some districts may host a district challenge but other districts may come up with other unique methods. Regardless of the method, the district team will need to be fully prepared for the challenge at the state competition.
- Pantry ingredients available at 2015 contest (available by May 1)
- Team Worksheet in manual
- State Culinary Challenge Score Sheet
- Tips for Planning a County/District Qualifying Event
- Team Manual (doc)
- Equipment Lists (in Team Manual)
- Orientation Outline for Participants
- Orientation Outline for Judges
- Resource Guide--see Culinary Challenge
The National 4-H Food Challenge is a new event. In fact, 2014 was the very first! It was held at the State Fair of Texas in Dallas. Educational workshops were held on the day before the contest. Information on the 2015 contest will be available later.