- About 4-H
- Lake Cumberland 4-H Educational Center
- Programs and Events
- Animal Sciences
- Dog Programs
- Science, Engineering, and Technology
- Shooting Sports
- State Fair
- Communication & Expressive Arts
- Family & Consumer Science
- Natural Resources
- 4-H Camp
- County Offices
- 4-H Access
Animal science projects can be a rewarding experience for 4-H members that teach responsibility, leadership, care and record keeping. However, not every 4-H member has the space or interest to keep a large animal. The 4-H Rabbit project is an exciting way to share the lessons learned from animal science projects with youth from any background whether they live on a farm or in the city.
The following information is related to to the care, raising and showing of rabbits. These are just a few of the more common resources. Check out other state's 4-H webpages by searching "4-H Rabbits" for more information.
- National 4-H Curriculum/Kentucky Core Curriculum (these can be ordered by checking with your county 4-H agent OR going to 4hmall.org)
- What's Hoppening?
- Making Tracks
- All Ears
- Rabbit Group Helpers Guide
- Kentucky 4-H Rabbit Showmanship (for the 2014 State Fair year, we are using the Texas showmanship guide with supplements from other states)
- eXtension.org - Companion Animals/Rabbit Website (this website is an online resource with additional materials related to rabbits)
- Other Resources
Ohio State University Learning Lab Kit - Rabbit (agents may borrow the kit for up to two weeks from the state office, two are available for loan)
This kit includes materials and suggestions for activities that cover: rabbit anatomy,awareness, care, and management, health, quality assurance,conformation,breeds,identification systems, genetics and reproduction, selection and evaluation
- Posters, pictures, labels, and task cards are printed on heavy paper and laminated. Easy to write on and erase!
- Labels are printed on polyethylene tags and come with Velcro dots, making learning tactile and fun.
- Special hands-on learning tools include two cage wire samples and a pet tattoo outfit.
- The Educator's Resource Materials Set includes reproducible masters for most of the kit contents.
- Each kit is mailed in a sturdy cardboard box that can be inserted into the custom canvas carrying case.
Updated 12/13/2013 (MAM)