- About 4-H
- Lake Cumberland 4-H Educational Center
- Programs and Events
- Animal Sciences
- Dog Programs
- Science, Engineering, and Technology
- Shooting Sports
- State Fair
- Communication & Expressive Arts
- Family & Consumer Science
- Natural Resources
- 4-H Camp
- County Offices
- 4-H Access
State Contact: Jann Burks, email: email@example.com Office: 859-218-0986
4-H Dog Program:
Every youth who has a dog will enjoy this 4-H program.Youth explore more about dog health, nutrituion, care, genetic problems, population control, showmanship, training, ethics and budgeting. There are several state level programs offered to all 4-H youth.
2014 DOG CAMP REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS APRIL 25 (see inform below) Camp Information (letter)-revised; Camp Schedule (below)
FELTNER 4-H CAMP INFORMATION (travel maps, emergency)(pdf)
Curriculum: National 4-H Supply (link)
Kentucky 4-H Dog Program uses the national 4-H dog curriculum and AKC website for information. Curriculum is approximately $4.25 per book.
- Book 1 - Wiggles and Wags
- Book 2 - Canine Connection
- Book 3 - Leading the Pack
- Dog Helper's Guide
STATE FAIR 2014: DOG SHOW AUG 9-10, 2014
BREED FOR DOG JUDGING-
Junior Level: Labrador (doc)
Senior Level: Greyhound (doc)
St. Fair Participant Updated Information (doc)
Animal Health Certificate (4-H form only necessary) (doc) Travels with animal must be signed and valid within 150 days of show.
PARKING PASS FOR DOG SHOW None needed
Note: All adults must participate in the Youth Client Protection Process. Contact your County Extension Office. Allow at least 6-8 wks notice. (Even if you are an instructor and not accompanying children)
1) 4-H CAMP CANINE -DATE: MAY 16-18, 2014 - FELTNER 4-H CAMP-LONDON, KY (Friday 5pm ET - Sunday 12noon ET)
Held in May each year at the Feltner 4-H Camp in London, KY. Youth are encouraged to bring their pet to camp with them. Together they will take classes on a variety of topics surrounding the care and handling of their animal. This is a fun, low-stress environment for youth handlers (beginners to advanced) to practice showing their animal and meet other youth across the state. This is often a "family" outing for the week-end (Friday night - Sunday (noon). Contact your local county 4-H agent by early-April. Remember all adults who stay must go through the Client Protection process.
Dog Camp Cost: Full-time: $ 75.00 per person;
Part-time: $40.00 + meals, no logdging.
- 4-H Animal Health Form (doc)
- Camp Application form (doc) - State deadline April 25, 2014
- 2014 Dog Camp schedule (pdf) Tentative
- Camp Letter (doc)
- Medical form (youth & adults) (pdf)
- Feltner 4-H Camp Information, driving, camp maps, emergency (pdf)
NOTE: 4-H Dog Camp - Registration - must do both options: 1) Online registration through your Extension Office only - contact your County 4-H agent for their deadline. 2) PLUS a paper application & check, payable to KY 4-H Foundation, Memo: dog camp, Mailed to State 4-H Office (by extension office), ATTN: Jann Burks, UK 4-H YD, 212 Scovell Hall, Lexington, KY 40546-0064 - Due April 25, 2014.
- Late payment Information (doc)
CLOVERBUDS-4-H DOG CAMP - 2014- No Cloverbuds Allowd:
VOLUNTEER/LEADERS: ALL VOLUNTEERS MUST COMPLETE THE 4-H "CLIENT PROTECTION" PROCESS BEFORE ATTENDING CAMP (EVEN IF YOU DO NOT ACCOMPANY YOUTH TO CAMP). SEE YOU LOCAL COUNTY EXTENSION AGENT FOR DETAILS!
2) STATE 4-H DOG SHOW - Held in Louisville, KY at the State Fair & Exposition Center. This show is offered to all 4-H'ers and is held the Saturday & Sunday before the State Fair opens (mid-August). Registration is around July 10 each year (follows deadlines for other 4-H animal shows at the fair). Participants must register through their county extension office like other state fair entries (ONLINE ONLY). Deadline is strictly enforced! Cost: No entry fee. Lodging, meals are on your own.
Exception: Dog Poster entry deadline - August 1st (or Cloverville entry deadline)
STATE 4-H DOG SHOW RULES: Register July 10th (or Livestock deadline)
NOTE: Dog Poster's are registered with other Cloverville items only - August (PLS do not bring to dog show)
OTHER COUNTY PROGRAMS - OPEN EVENTS & SHOWS
- Fayette County Dog Show June 7, 2014 (doc)
* All volunteers should go through the 4-H Client Protection process with their local extension office. Please allow 6-8 weeks for process to be completed.
* All volunteers are welcome to participate in this "leader led" dog program. The committee meets four times per year at the Fayette Co. Extension Office, Lexington, KY. All meetings begin at 7:00 pm (ET) (Friday). If you would like to have input or get on the email list, but cannot make the meeting, please feel free to contact Jann Burks, 4-H YD Specialist, at the state 4-H Office (859) 257-5961 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. Committee chair: Kristin Leshney, Email: fayettedogclub.com
Meeting dates: (Tentative) May 2, July 18, Sept