Health and Wellbeing
Health and Wellbeing
About this Program Area
The 4-H Health and Wellness Education program is designed to promote the holistic well-being of youth through a comprehensive approach that integrates positive youth development principles. This program aims to empower young individuals to make informed decisions about their physical, mental, emotional, social, and spiritual health. By addressing the five domains of health and wellness, this program equips participants with the knowledge and skills necessary to lead healthy and fulfilling lives.
Five Domains of Health and Wellness are:
- Physical Health: 4-Hers will learn about the importance of physical fitness, proper nutrition, and healthy lifestyle choices. They engage in physical activities that enhance strength, flexibility, and endurance while developing habits that promote lifelong well-being.
- Mental Health: 4-Hers will be equipped with tools to manage stress, build resilience, and foster positive self-esteem. Participants learn about mental health disorders, stress reduction techniques, and the benefits of seeking support when needed.
- Emotional Health: 4-Hers will explore strategies to recognize, understand, and regulate their emotions effectively. They learn about the importance of emotional intelligence, empathy, and healthy expression of feelings. The program encourages youth to develop positive relationships and cultivate a supportive social network.
- Social Health: 4-Hers will enhance interpersonal and communication skills, promoting empathy, respect, and teamwork, and will engage in activities that encourage collaboration, conflict resolution, and responsible decision-making, enabling them to establish healthy relationships and navigate social interactions successfully.
- Spiritual Health: 4-Hers will be encouraged to explore their values, beliefs, and sense of purpose, fostering a sense of connection with themselves and others. Through self-reflection, mindfulness exercises, and discussions on personal growth, young individuals gain a deeper understanding of their spiritual well-being and develop a greater sense of meaning in their lives.
Through the 4-H Health and Wellness Education program, youth are equipped with the knowledge, skills, and support necessary to lead healthy, balanced lives. By embracing positive youth development principles and addressing the five domains of health and wellness, this program empowers young individuals to make informed choices and thrive in their personal and social environments.
Additional Program Areas
County Extension Office Contacts
4-H YOUTH DEVELOPMENT A Kentucky 4-H volunteer is anyone who contributes time, energy, or talent to the Kentucky 4-H Youth Development Program and is not paid by University of Kentucky funds. Many volunteer roles involve working directly with others; others do not. There are seven specific types of 4-H volunteer roles in Kentucky. They include: Community Club Leader, Project Club Leader, Special Emphasis Volunteer, School Enrichment Volunteer, 4-H Committee Member, 4-H Council Member, Youth Volunteer,Find information to connect you to your County Extension Office